Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 10 13 7:32 PM

Tags : :

Did we ever find out a decent solution to preserving the Frogman's wet suit? I just looked at mine and it's starting to perish.
I did think that maybe vaseline may be the answer? Either by smearing the VAM in a thin coating or the suit itself. Anyone already tried this? 

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 10 13 8:00 PM

I don't think I would use Vaseline its petroleum based and rots rubber. go to a car parts shop and ask for rubber grease as used on brake cylinder seals, I don't know if it works but it would be safer.

Retired    Retired   

#3 [url]

Jul 10 13 8:27 PM

I've read positive experiences when using olive oil (but not other kitchen oils).  As for vaseline, it needs to be acid-free.

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Jul 11 13 8:39 AM

Automotive rubber replenishes are useles. It's made for a different type of rubber. This topic comes up every 6 months or so.
I went to the trouble many years back asking advice of experts from multiple museums in rubber preservation. I posted a report on the old VAME site. I also spoke to many engineers who develop automotive rubber revival products.
The answer is grim. There is NOTHING you can do. Museums have struggled with preserving rubber products for decades. Unfortunately the rubber that our loved Action man and GI JOE wetsuits are made up from cannot be saved. They were never made to last forever BUT worked sensational for the lifetime of our childhoods and was brilliant. My favourite pastime playing in the pool with my Action Man diver and Armoured Command jeep. The wetsuit was still folded up in the back section when I found my new reborn joy for the hobby a decade or so ago. Sadly brown and brittle.

Best advice is to keep it away from sunlight and air in a well climate controlled room. BUT DO NOT put them in airtight containers as the gases the rubber expels in its breakdown period will actually accelerate the deterioration. They have to be able to breath.

My conclusion was to give up buying good suits. I still have a few originals stored away as best I can that havent seemed to worsen much over the last 5 years or so. I got a guy in Brazil with original moulds to make 20 suits for me and 2 friends around that time. Black, Orange, yellow, different issue zipper variations. Even YKK zippers. They still are like new. Love em.

Retired    Retired   

#6 [url]

Jul 12 13 1:24 AM

They have been stored in an open freezer bag then inside a shoebox in a dark room inside the house. This is predominately because all my stuff still is in boxes as I am yet to complete building the display room. I will eventually have them out on display and they will be somewhat open to the elements. So be it. What happens ...happens.
The room I am building is upstairs has no windows and is fully insulated, purposely built for displaying my collections. It will be totally climate controlled. I also own 3 Delonghi dehumidifiers. 1 will be designated full time to that room.

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Retired

Retired

bbcode help