Remove this ad

#101 [url]

Dec 24 12 12:05 AM

I guess this discussion just mirrors the mixed reaction Tim got when he put this forward as a fund-raising idea to the charities concerned.  There's no doubting the skill, planning and investment that went into the book and the good intentions behind it to raise awareness and a little funding to help former soldiers.  As an Action Man collector, I think it's a nice thing to have alongside other Action Man books, including NJ Taylor's lovely (but inaccurate) photo book.

On the other hand, I do understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.  My mum lived through WW2 and refused to let me have a VAM German Stormtrooper in the house.  That's just a toy too after all, but then WW2 had only ended less than 25 years earlier, which was more recent then than the Falklands conflict is to us now.  The SOTC series, celebrating soldiers from WW2 as a child's toy, must have seemed uncomfortable to many other parents at the time.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just an extension of boys playing with toy soldiers.  Not everyone agreed that was acceptable even when Action Man was at his peak.  Sensitivity with war-like toys pretty much killed off GI Joe in the Vietnam years so it's understandable that there will be those who disapprove (possibly more so in these more politically-correct times) including those who were closest to the conflict.

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad

#102 [url]

Dec 24 12 7:25 AM

Im sure Tim can cope with negative views on the book but please just keep any criticisms civil with no personal insults to any member or the topic will be locked and appropriate warnings sent out.

Retired    Retired   

#103 [url]

Jan 3 13 11:08 PM

Im sure Tim can cope with negative views on the book but please just keep any criticisms civil with no personal insults to any member or the topic will be locked and appropriate warnings sent out.

-v8mikey

It doesn't look as though he can v8mikey! I've just checked and all of my criticism to his book has been deleted. can i ask why? I thought this was a forum for open discussion? I've had no explanation. the book is rubbish and I'm the only person with the guts to stand up and say so.  

Retired    Retired   

#106 [url]

Jan 3 13 11:42 PM

Sorry guys, please forgive me for not explaining the full reasons why, but suffice to say that Danthecoat can scratch up his second scalp (http://www.actioncommand.net/vam-falklands-commemoration-book-t925-20.html). I am finally done once and for all with the persistent trouble that frequents this hobby. Indeed, I am utterely amazed and appaled at the behaviour of a disproportionate minority, surrounding collection of a 12" plastic doll.

Thank you to the admin team for their thankless work providing and maintaining this forum and the many decent indiviudals I have had the pleasure to interact with over the years.

Best wishes
Tim

Retired    Retired   

#107 [url]

Jan 3 13 11:50 PM

Sorry guys I am finally done once and for all with the persistent trouble that frequents this hobby. Indeed, I am utterely amazed and appaled at the behaviour of a disproportionate minority, surrounding collection of a 12" plastic doll.
Thank you to the admin team for their thankless work providing and maintaining this forum and the many decent indiviudals I have had the pleasure to interact with over the years.
Best wishes
Tim

-tjm160

THIS IS ALL HORRIBLY WRONG!!!!!!

Retired    Retired   

#108 [url]

Jan 4 13 12:02 AM

THIS IS ALL HORRIBLY WRONG!!!!!!

-vamcs

so true sad,   Tim is a great chap and would do anything to help anyone.  shot down by 2 big headed fame seekers. 
all he wanted to do was help the charities at great expense to himself.  God bless ya Tim and I hope you change your mind.

Retired    Retired   

#112 [url]

Jan 4 13 4:54 AM

Sorry guys, please forgive me for not explaining the full reasons why, but suffice to say that Danthecoat can scratch up his second scalp ([url]). I am finally done once and for all with the persistent trouble that frequents this hobby. Indeed, I am utterely amazed and appaled at the behaviour of a disproportionate minority, surrounding collection of a 12" plastic doll.
Best wishes
Tim

-anonymous2037177

sorry to hear this again Tim but Danthecoat has been finally been booted from another site. Soon he'll only be playing by himself forever.I once again hope you reconsider your membership on VAME.

Retired    Retired   

#114 [url]

Jan 4 13 10:59 AM

sorry to hear this again Tim but Danthecoat has been finally been booted from another site. Soon he'll only be playing by himself forever.I once again hope you reconsider your membership on VAME.

-v8mikey

I should of checked the time frame. Just realised that was 6 months ago. Oh well it wont take too long before he's evicted from yet another.

Retired    Retired   

#118 [url]

Jan 5 13 1:35 AM

I just couldn't let this thread pass by without adding my own thoughts.

As far as I am concerned, Tim has always "done right" by me and I consider him to be an absolutely top man, who - as it is written above - would always seek to help anyone.

I find this whole situation very upsetting because we are losing one of our most talented photographers and someone whose dedication, great imagination and vast knowledge has truly benefitted this site since its inception in 2008.

I don't post here very often, but I have always greatly appreciated Tim's advice and kind words when I have had a question or something to say.

I understand - and respect - Tim's reasons for taking a break, but I hope that he will drop by from time to time to say hello.

We will really miss you, mate... Thanks for everything and please look after yourself!

All the best

Steve

Cheers Steve Vintage, Modern and 40th - the Action Man Holy Trinity!

Retired    Retired   

#120 [url]

Jan 5 13 2:17 AM

I just couldn't let this thread pass by without adding my own thoughts.As far as I am concerned, Tim has always "done right" by me and I consider him to be an absolutely top man, who - as it is written above - would always seek to help anyone. I find this whole situation very upsetting because we are losing one of our most talented photographers and someone whose dedication, great imagination and vast knowledge has truly benefitted this site since its inception in 2008.I don't post here very often, but I have always greatly appreciated Tim's advice and kind words when I have had a question or something to say.I understand - and respect - Tim's reasons for taking a break, but I hope that he will drop by from time to time to say hello.We will really miss you, mate... Thanks for everything and please look after yourself!All the bestSteve

-red-hound

100%... 

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Retired

Retired

bbcode help