Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jun 18 11 4:52 PM

Just moving some 40th figures around and decided to spread out into the other two half-cabinets, so I finally got around to de-carding my 40th Astronaut:

And yes, I did indeed put his thumb through the glove. Twice 

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad

#28 [url]

Jun 18 11 8:53 PM

Isn't the white thing supposed to plug into the chest pack though Daren?  [image]

-mraction

I deliberately left that because I thought it was a communications cord that plugs into the capsule 

hahhaaaa i seen that the poor astronaut has suffocated by now[image]

-charmic1

I think he was more worried about not being able to hear his MP3s 

[image]I was admiring the silver against the background that I didn't notice that![image]Mike you now have Daren stomping around, swearing & looking for his camera for a new shot! [image] 

-captain-zero

I just packed the flock-a-sporran thing away in the case and put the tripod away 

Retired    Retired   

#31 [url]

Jun 23 12 6:10 PM

Isn't the white thing supposed to plug into the chest pack though Daren?  [image]

-mraction

I deliberately left that because I thought it was a communications cord that plugs into the capsule [image]    ... 

-deeyem

I was right, it is a communications cord, so he wouldn't have suffocated, he would have just thought the radios were unusually quiet 

Click here to view the attachment

Retired    Retired   

#32 [url]

Jul 5 12 2:52 PM

Just been admiring your display Darren - giving me the urge to get in gear and finish my Joe room off and get my lot on display!

However, just to be a wee bit picky about something you said (and probably send you scurrying back to your cabinet) ...

I've tried to keep the outfits on figures from the same era - the mountaineers are all bearded adventurers and the engineer is a painted head. 

-deeyem

The Mountaineer set (along with Jungle Explorer, Polar Explorer, Base Camp, etc) was actually a painted head era set, not from the fuzzy era. 

Retired    Retired   

#33 [url]

Jul 14 12 8:43 PM

I know  I should have said 'except for the adventurers which I have put on beardies'  I think the Jungle Explorer was also released during the Fuzzy head era, so I have probably just about got away with it  

Just to try and maintain a bit of credibility, one of my vintage Jungle Explorers is a PH:

Retired    Retired   

#34 [url]

Jul 14 12 8:47 PM

And while on the subject of both 40th and Jungle Explorers... 

Having admired more than one of Mike (MrAction)'s vintage re-cards, and having made a couple of 40th custom-ish ones, I thought I'd have a go at an Explorer's accessory card using the free accessories that came with the Jungle Explorer card. Having messed about with the thread over the pith helmet, and having got the thread tangled twice, I really came to appreciate Mike's work!

Retired    Retired   

#35 [url]

Jul 14 12 8:50 PM

And while on the subject of both 40th and Jungle Explorers... [image]

Having admired more than one of Mike (MrAction)'s vintage re-cards, and having made a couple of 40th custom-ish ones, I thought I'd have a go at an Explorer's accessory card using the free accessories that came with the Jungle Explorer card. Having messed about with the thread over the pith helmet, and having got the thread tangled twice, I really came to appreciate Mike's work!

[image]

-deeyem

fantastic but should it be on a high altitude card? 

Retired    Retired   

#37 [url]

Jul 14 12 9:35 PM

All of the 40th Explorer accessory cards (parkas, sleeping bag, etc.) are on high altitude cards. Bizarre but true. I guess it is one way to tell that they are original 40th  

Retired    Retired   

#38 [url]

Jul 15 12 7:47 PM

All of the 40th Explorer accessory cards (parkas, sleeping bag, etc.) are on high altitude cards. Bizarre but true. I guess it is one way to tell that they are original 40th  [image]

-deeyem

Thats a good one i didnt know that 

Retired    Retired   

#39 [url]

Apr 21 13 5:17 PM

I have finally got around to sorting through my spare 40th figures so that I can de-card some Joe 40th sets. Having allocated figures to sets, I have sat quietly and calmly, found my zen-centre (which is a bit like a shopping-centre but with more chanting and less incense) and prepared myself to open an Air Force Dress Uniform. I think it's probably the first 40th set I've opened (ignoring figures) that has been a bit disappointing. The main issue is that they have made the hat just like the vintage one, which doesn't sound like a bad thing unless you know that the vintage ones all shrunk over the years. Yep, they have appeared to have made the 40th one the same size as the shrunken vintage one  The front of the jacket is different to the vintage as well - the top has been stitched together to hold it closed whereas the vintage jacket has proper lapels. I could probably fold and iron the 40th jacket to get it to look right but it should really have already been done.

40th:

Vintage: (wearing a knock-off hat - the shrunken vintage one is next to the figure)

Other differences: the tie is on a clear elastic strip rather than a rubber band and the rank insignia and wings do not have the sharp metal clips built in - they just have sticky pads on the back.

Overall not bad apart from the undersized hat.

Retired    Retired   

#40 [url]

May 8 13 10:18 PM

WOW those look great. Stunning display. The 40th sets were a perfect starter for bringing fans back into the fold. The vintage sets (mint) which are out of my price range, were freely available as 40th and greatly appreciated. As much as many AM buffs hate these, the Christmas my partner gave me the Ski Patrol set brought such a surge of happy memories flooding back it felt as though I'd been transported back in time. Not just the equipment but also the packaging. I can't wait to see what the 50th will bring. Start saving now! 

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Retired

Retired

bbcode help