Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 29 10 7:46 PM

Tags : :

Can anyone explain the differences between genuine Shmeissers and 40th please, I know thes are quiet expensive now so some pointers in what to look for would be great thanks.

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Apr 29 10 7:54 PM

In an attempt to answer my own question, Here are 2 pics (not mine) Although the 1 on the left I recently bought and was sold as genuine vintage, the one on the right is being sold as 40th. The only obvious difference I can see is that the 40th is missing the lug for the strap (note the positions of the strap in both photos. Can anyone with more knowledge comment on this please.

Click here to view the attachment

Retired    Retired   

#4 [url]

Apr 29 10 8:13 PM

In an attempt to answer my own question, Here are 2 pics (not mine) Although the 1 on the left I recently bought and was sold as genuine vintage, the one on the right is being sold as 40th. The only obvious difference I can see is that the 40th is missing the lug for the strap (note the positions of the strap in both photos. Can anyone with more knowledge comment on this please.
[image]

I think the strap positions were only different because of the elastic strap.

You see the picture on the left is an original late issue with a plastic strap, hence the lug difference

Retired    Retired   

#5 [url]

Apr 29 10 8:20 PM

Check out the mould marks to the right hand side of a genuine Schmeisser, very small circular mark that is quite a common feature of vintage items. I don't have a 40th to compare but would guess there are no corresponding mould marks in this position.     

Retired    Retired   

#6 [url]

May 16 10 11:13 AM

The only obvious difference I can see is that the 40th is missing the lug for the strap (note the positions of the strap in both photos. Can anyone with more knowledge comment on this please.
[image]

The lug for the strap has nothing to do with the difference between 40th and vintage, but rather is to do with the earlier and later vintage versions.  All Action Man guns with slings attached originally came with the sling represented by an elastic strap attached to the gun by tiny brass rings.  In the later years as a manufacturing cost cutting measure all guns had a plastic strap with the lugs added to the moulds for the weapons to accommodate the plastic strap.

The 40th Schmeisser is a repro of the first release version with the elastic and brass rings.

I've just compared a vintage and 40th and the only difference is a tiny circular mould mark on the magazine of the vintage version.  Other than that, nothing.  The 40th is a cracking repro of the original.

Retired    Retired   

#7 [url]

Jul 19 12 11:35 AM

Are any of these vintage? I suspect the top one of being a GI joe type? note the extra pips! elastic is slack and it looks like old plastic, the others look quite new and could be 40th with mould marks added to them easily enough with tools? elastic is NOT slack (middle one) and strap is left rather than right - could of been decarded recently but that seems abit unlikely.

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Jul 19 12 11:51 AM

hard to tell from pic. Your top version is the second issue that originally would of had a rubber strap to go on those pips. someone has changed it for elastic. They look vintage due to wear, but Im no expert on 40th compaisons. Im certain the" look out for" tips on 40th MP40's are on this site.

Retired    Retired   

#9 [url]

Jul 19 12 12:21 PM

I have another two late issue plastic strap type that have the larger pips and one of those i know is Vam as I brought it personally in 80s - pips on the (top mp40) are much smaller so I did wonder. Those pictured are from recent ebay purchases middle one cost £18 including p&p so yeah im really worried since it looks so new. I dont plan to buy another for that price - one off :D

Heres the original listing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=150852233481&si=WTDhxS49zHchtjonK47mT%252BsmnWo%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3AOC%3AGB%3A3160&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Retired    Retired   

#10 [url]

Jul 19 12 12:33 PM

Yes the pip and strap holes change from smaller rounded version to longer thicker version as the years went on.

Good ones dont  usually come cheap. Without seeing it close up and next to a 40th I would trust the seller that its original.

Retired    Retired   

#13 [url]

Jul 20 12 7:03 PM

No faint wavy line in middle of your 40th image and as others have noted no circular mould mark on mag, all mine pictured have this wavy line/stress crack running through? which i dont think you could fake easily. I havent got a 40th to compare just yet - its one good reason to buy 40th sets.

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Retired

Retired

bbcode help