Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 17 10 6:48 PM

Tags : :

Bought a collection of VAM a few months back and there was this knock-off figure by 'Mintex'. Just wondered if they are collectable? Obviously a cheap immitation of AM but did Mintex make their own range of clothes? or do I dress him in 'un-labelled' knock off gear and stick him on ebay and hope to get a fiver for him! LOL! 

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jul 18 10 1:07 AM

I can see a PM from V8Mikey coming your way[image]

-action_mat

Ive got one Mat and ones enough. Been trying to find out about them myself. They are a nice figure worth keeping in my eyes. Have no idea what they are meant to be wearing besides the footballer issue. Was hoping 'oldguy the KO guru' could help.

Retired    Retired   

#4 [url]

Jul 18 10 1:16 AM

Not that I know off Mat. I have only seen them on ebay every now and again either in UK or US. From memory I got mine from the states. My surname is MINTEN so there was that connection of interest.grin

Retired    Retired   

#6 [url]

Jul 18 10 3:30 AM

like the pic i posted a couple weeks ago of the footballer, they may have been produced predominately for the UK market and have winded up in the US through ebay lots of AM/Joe.

Retired    Retired   

#7 [url]

Jul 18 10 10:04 AM

Well V8mikey, I can tell you that the Mintex doll I got was wearing an orange jump suit, almost identical to the VAM Pilot one except the sleeves are not elasticated at the cuffs and it doesn't have the pleats in the back like the VAM one. The zip has VKK on it like the VAM ones. Obviously NO label.

Retired    Retired   

#14 [url]

Aug 10 10 3:22 PM

Mintex were actually knock-offs of a knock-off -- the second edition of Fighting Yank.  

The standard practice of Hong Kong factories was to produce a figure and sell it to whichever retailer as their own store exclusive.  That's why you'll see identical accessories in identical packaging with different names...

The headsculpt with an X mark on it's cheek is a Johnny Combat.

Retired    Retired   

#15 [url]

Aug 11 10 5:55 PM

That definitely explains a lot Joe90, thanks for that. I have a 'Fighting Yank' dog tag somewhere and will put it with the Mintex guy, I also found some camo knock off outfit and bits to go with him too. Pictures to come soon ok....

Retired    Retired   

#18 [url]

Aug 15 10 12:51 PM

I notice the seller listed the figure as an AM in a ebay auction.
   I see alot of knockoff or other brand figures get listed as GI Joe here in the states.

-oldguy

Yeah, I did e-mail the seller telling him not too expect too much as it was a knock-off, I also asked if the kit was labelled, got no reply.

Retired    Retired   

#19 [url]

Aug 28 10 12:48 PM

The Mintex pilot came with the orange jumpsuit as shown, a pair of high black boots, and a blue cap of the same style as the later VAM one, complete with silver winged logo on the front. I bought one with my pocket money way back then...

The figure soon ended up in the bin ( the knees broke), but the boots and jumpsuit lasted for years on my old VAM.

Retired    Retired   

#20 [url]

Aug 29 10 9:34 AM

The Mintex pilot came with the orange jumpsuit as shown, a pair of high black boots, and a blue cap of the same style as the later VAM one, complete with silver winged logo on the front. I bought one with my pocket money way back then...
The figure soon ended up in the bin ( the knees broke), but the boots and jumpsuit lasted for years on my old VAM.

-signalman

Yes...yes...yes! That figure I showed earlier with the orange jumpsuit came with a winged blue cap and I thought it was VAM!!! Thanks for that, now I know it belongs with the Mintex figure I will keep it all together, I have some knock off black high boots too so all complete knock off rubbish now!! wink

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Retired

Retired

bbcode help