Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 17 12 11:17 PM

Tags : :

Information supplied by kind permission from Juanma (mazinfriki). Who some of you will know is reproducing Geyperman.

You may wonder why geyper used the eagle eye head sculpt but didn't use the moving eyes. Here's the answer:

These are some of the prototypes done by Geyper. The eyes mechanism was slightly different than the Palitoy one; Geyper tried to make the eyes move when the head was rotated instead only using the lever on the back, but they had some problems fine tuning the mechanism so the project was delayed; and when everything was finished and the molds were ready Geyper man sales had fallen a lot so they retired the project.

This is why the figure ended up with painted eyeswink.
Thank you Juanmasmile

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Oct 18 12 4:59 PM

Excellent point actually! Maybe after having spent too much money on the research and development of the EE figure they just couldn't bring themselves to totally disgard the new head and revert to the old one. Also was Palitoy's Action Man the only other 'Joe' being made at the time? At least Geyper's new head looks similar to the AM EE. A head that was no doubt considered all new and modern at the

Retired    Retired   

#7 [url]

Oct 18 12 5:36 PM

Hi all,

For what i could find they tried to get the new body ready for christmas 1977 but the molds could not be done that quickly, and they produced some hybrid figures next year before all the tooling was ready. First they introduced the new head, hands and feet at the beginning of 1978, then later that year they added the new legs, and on january 1979 they got the new torso and arms ready,

The 2nd issue figure was basically the gi joe muscle body figure with action man BP joints instead of rubber jounts and an old style neck. They did not use the action man neck post probably to allow the eyes move when the head was rotated.

1978 marked the fall of sales for geyperman. They did not invest more on the figure and the latest addition to be done, the eyes, were retired because that would add production costs to a figure that did not sell well at the time. That's why the eagle eye geyperman was never produced.

The head itself is an exact replica of the late issue palitoy head, but it was done with a rigid material that did not shrink after production, so the resultant head is a litle bit bigger. But the head sculpt is identical.We see it very different because the painted eyes.

Retired    Retired   

#8 [url]

Oct 18 12 6:53 PM

thanks for sharing that, it must be an amazing journey you've been on. I read your posts with interest on the old hq site, i hope you continue to post here.

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 19 12 3:00 AM

One image of the head interior:

I was wondering for years why the 2nd issue head had those holes inside if they did not put the moving eyes on it. After asking several people who worked for geyper in the mid 70's I finally got the answer and it was surprising to find out that the tooling was already made :)

Retired    Retired   

#12 [url]

Oct 19 12 11:31 AM

it looks like the slot for the lever is the key to how the mechanism was supposed to work.
I can see that holding the lever internally, so a twist of the head would operate it. Very interesting :)

Retired    Retired   

#14 [url]

Oct 19 12 12:51 PM

Yes that's it, they used the friction with the neck post to do that, but they also kept the lever to move the eyes. I can't confirm if they had success unless I run the molds, because I have several prototypes; some of them has that feature and others don't.

Retired    Retired   
Retired

Retired

bbcode help