Remove this ad

#81 [url]

Dec 20 12 12:43 PM

For crying out loud.  So you'd have to photoshop out all those little plastic guns to comply?  Bonkers

But a mam on a skateboard would be okay by the look of it.  What a bunch of Barclays bankers

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad

#86 [url]

Dec 20 12 4:45 PM

..... What a bunch of Barclays bankers[image] 

-action_mat

I think you'll find that the collective noun for bankers is 'wunch' Mat, so that's a 'wunch of Barclays bankers'  

Retired    Retired   

#87 [url]

Dec 20 12 8:21 PM

im stuck with them wunch of bankers too .. so i guess the violence death injury  weapons firearms ammunition .( the terrorism being on the argie half )..thats why they said no ..  REALLY  ??????. as to the fact they are toys so there no   violence death injury  weapons firearms ammunition .. 
just email them back and tell them that
 no action man was hurt in the making of these photos and the gun are plastic  not real  and as for the argies being the terrorist  well that you own thought .. 

im going to have the DAK  art work on mine ..yea yea   so you guessed ..

Retired    Retired   

#88 [url]

Dec 22 12 9:48 PM

I must admit that one of the reasons I joined this forum is that i wanted to be able to get a copy of this book for my father who is a veteran (not of the Falklands conflict, thank God, although some of his pals are). I can't post post his exact comments after showing him the review, but he, like the charities, found it to trivialise the events - with toys, as he put it. The landscaping is all wrong, it wasn't bleak and barren, and it looked like a duck pond. As an Action Man collector, I can see where you are coming from  and was most disappointed with my fathers views, especially his remark that the figure on the cover looks as though he has been graffiti-ed.  Maybe it would have been more in keeping if you had photographed them in the Falklands - that would have been a real help to the book. Or if you had used Dragon figures, it would have been more realistic. My father asked me to make a £40 donation to Help4Heroes rather than waste it on the book. You can read in your posts that are bitter about the response and quite rightly so. Only 9 books sold over 3 or 4 forums must be very disappointing, because as a collector, I think you have done a splendid job. But i can see where the vets are coming from. P

Retired    Retired   

#89 [url]

Dec 22 12 11:06 PM

I cant speak as a vet,a soldier or some one who has been to the Falklands. but the photos Tim took  look spot on to the reference photos he used.
For me it has been an eye opener knowing what these chaps went through, without this book I would know nothing about the Falklands and I will treasure my copy forever, thanks again Tim

Daz

Retired    Retired   

#90 [url]

Dec 23 12 2:26 AM

Thanks Daz.

Did you follow the original thread onesixman (http://vame.lefora.com/2010/08/17/us-field-camp/page19/)? The photos have since been temporarily removed, but you will see various viewpoints around what is clearly a sensative topic from a spectrum of people including civilians from different backgrounds, Regular Forces and Reserve Forces, Soldiers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Officers, some of whom have seen action and some who haven't. Whilst I respect your Father's view, I also disagree, as did the SAMA Chairman (personally) and Help for Heroes, who were fully supportive. I only chose not to proceed given that SAMA as a whole did not wish to endorse (the Chairman suggested I should proceed regardless, but I chose not to out of simple respect of the right of those who were there to hold the view they chose to take).

What's it like to experience combat; to be cold, wet, hungry, dirty, exhausted, scared witless and yet push yourself on to do the job you have been trained and paid to do, to close with the enemy, aim your rifle at another human being and pull the trigger, to experience the 'dead-man's click' of an empty magazine and resort to the bayonet, plunging in to the hilt before twisting and withdrawing, to experience the horrific sounds and smells of the battlefield, cordite mingled with burnt flesh and human entrails, to kill and see your closest friends killed ...............

Having endured such, it is understandable that some who have been there may struggle to see or simply not wish to see, that far from trivialising their service and sacrifice, it upholds and honours what they have done and gives those back at home a small insight into what they might have been through (not unlike "Commando's" or other illustrated comics). The VAM-Falklands series was never intended to be a wholly accurate recreation of the conflict, rather a commemoration and representation from the perspective of a (then) nine-year olf child who was re-creating what he saw on TV in 1982, with his Action Men, in context of military knowledge and experience gained since. Here is the introduction from the book which explains the background and rationale:

Introduction
I was nine years old in 1982 when Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands. Rather at odds with my parents’ desires, I had maintained a keen interest in everything military since toddlerhood. Suddenly war that I had read of in storybooks or heard on cassette tape was being beamed almost live into the living room. I was gripped by the images of Britain’s brave servicemen fighting the pitched battles of our country’s last brief but ferocious conventional war on British soil. As they fought, I re-enacted the scenes on the living room carpet with my Action Men.

In the interim, interest in the military grew and after five years with the Army Cadet Force I joined the Reserve Forces with whom I would fulfil at least some of the childhood ambition over the next thirteen years, two attempts to join the regular army being frustrated by injury. The arrival of our first child was however to re-align priorities, Reserve Service and sporting pastimes giving way to more family friendly pursuits. Clearing the attic of the remaining toys from the now distant youth, I happened across my old favourite; Action Man. The great British Toy maker Palitoy’s Toy of the decade in the 1970’s, found in almost every household in the country. The nostalgia of battles fought across the living room and back garden came flooding back and a new pastime as a collector began. Initially putting together outfits I had desired as a child, I amassed 200+ figures and carded/boxed items. However, despite the interest fitting around the family well, viewing figures on shelves failed to hold an extended appeal. Instead, a burgeoning interest in photography combined with the degree of military knowledge saw replacement of the valuable pristine collectable's with suitably‘previously enjoyed’ examples. These were summarily deployed akin to childhood days, seeking to capture in lifelike and visually appealing arrangements, returning a degree of ‘the outdoors’ to the new interest.

I found the Vintage Action Man Enthusiasts (VAME) internet forum an interesting and fun way of interacting with fellow collectors including a surprising number of past and present servicemen who warmly received the resulting “Action Man in Action”pictures. Remembrance having always been very important, driven by both the military service and deeply held Christian beliefs, the Falklands War 30th Anniversary Year presented the opportunity to build on previous endeavours and produce a series of images in commemoration of the conflict. As I poured over history books and personal accounts, the initial thought of recreating thirty or so iconic images mushroomed into an endeavour to recreate a good proportion of the key events. As I read more deeply into accounts of the battles, I was able to build the images more closely around the narrative and seek to represent as many of the formations and units present as possible. Key constraints have however been what was produced by Palitoy and its competitor companies and the distinctly un-Falklands like terrain of North Wiltshire. Varying degrees of 'artistic licence' have therefore been employed, although the ‘funny’ camouflage, bulging eagle eyes, laughably out of scale vehicles and landscapes help maintain a sense of perspective that this is a representation of the conflict rather than a wholly accurate re-creation.

Beneath the fun lies a more serious dual-intent. The images seek to present an idea of what it may have been like for those called to close with and engage the enemy and the resulting effect this can have on our servicemen and women. Whilst the 255 British and 649 Argentinean deaths resulting from the conflict are hard enough to comprehend, it is a further horrifying statistic that the effects of Combat Stress have brought more servicemen to take their own lives than were killed in the conflict itself (over 300 British and 900 Argentineans). Further, although materially improved over the last 30-years, there remains insufficient support to treat those affected, particularly once they have left the armed forces. The books underlying aim is therefore, to increase consideration of the effects of Combat Stress that often results from what our country asks our servicemen and women to see and do on our behalf.

I hope this goes some way to explaining the motives behind the book, that the pictures will be enjoyed and a deeper appreciation gained for our servicemen and women who give themselves to upholding our country’s values of freedom and democracy.

“Through childlike eyes in commemoration and honour of those who served in the Falklands War of 1982.”

Tim Matthews, August 2012

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad

#91 [url]

Dec 23 12 11:10 AM

I think the pictures above, and the real life situations speak volumes about the book Tim, and show a distinct similarity.

Disappointing sales only came about due to the price, and Christmas so close, I suspect.

Again, congratulations Tim

Retired    Retired   

#95 [url]

Dec 23 12 7:35 PM

..... he, like the charities, found it to trivialise the events - with toys, as he put it. ...... 

-onesixman

I'd be interested to hear your dad's views on the many war films that have been turned out over the years, as well as all of the kids toys that have been churned out over the years. 

Retired    Retired   

#96 [url]

Dec 23 12 8:43 PM

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but wasn't your dad the one who bought you vam in the first place?
My uncle gave the book the thumbs up and he took part in the conflict, but I suppose you'd have to have been a kid in '82 to appreciate the action man connection.  Shooting it with dragon figures (which weren't around at the time) would have looked daft and a pointless exercise for an action man collector.

I would have had one, but not this side of Christmas.  

Retired    Retired   

#97 [url]

Dec 23 12 8:53 PM

Daz28. I don’t know you, but I am assuming that you are an adult as you are a moderator on this forum. I cannot believe that a picture book “as seen through the eyes of a 9-year old” and not historically correct, as stated by the author, is your only understanding of the Falklands conflict. Do you also own “My big WW11 colouring-in book”? That’s not something I would shout about, mate.

Tjm160. I agree they are fabulous photos. However, I showed my father again, but still got a negative response. In fact he got bl***y angry at the ‘toy town trivia’ as he called it. To be honest, I don’t think it helped that my wife and mother were laughing their heads off looking at the pictures! I am surprised that mine are the only negative comments you’ve had. There must be other vets or family members who feel like my father? I noticed that most of your sales were to the forum committee members, leaving only a couple from the rank and file. I’m not sure it’s just the time of year that affected sales – this is an expensive hobby and £40 is a drop in the ocean – I’ve paid that for a jacket and trousers. My opinion is that you’ve touched a nerve and should have left well alone or done it properly.

Anyway, it’s over and done with now. I will be posting some pictures of my (VAM) collection over the holiday. A lot of it was Action Team, which as a child I found pretty boring, and soon changed it to more military uniforms. I still have the Action Team kits – should I put them back to originals or keep them as they are in the military Action Man theme? Would appreciate your views. P

Retired    Retired   

#100 [url]

Dec 23 12 11:19 PM

I'd still be interested to hear his dad's opinion on war films and war toys. And re-enactors as well, now that I think of it.

.....I still have the Action Team kits – should I put them back to originals or keepthem as they are in the military Action Man theme? Would appreciate your views.P

-onesixman

I've dressed my original figures in the kit that I liked as a kid but I didn't have enough figures to display it all so I bought additional figures. Subject for a new thread I think.

Retired    Retired   
Remove this ad
Retired

Retired

bbcode help